Saturday, July 14, 2018

Ceremony

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson


Ceremony, from the album Substance by New Order. Whenever I hear even the first few notes of the song, I'm transported back in time. I can see my younger self – I must be 18 years old, frustrated by being on the razor’s edge of change, feeling the bite of that metaphorical blade. I think it’s how Luke Skywalker must have felt being told by his uncle to be patient, to spend just one more season on the farm. I was chomping at the bit – already accepted into Michigan and just counting the days, the minutes, until I’d be into the next chapter in my story.

Waiting for my world to change. To be where I thought my life was.

None of it turned out quite the way I’d planned. But then little has, and most of what’s been unexpected has ended up being good to me, even if it didn’t always seem so at the time. But once the fragments get pieced together, refined and glazed over, once it’s in the rearview, then it can become a story and make sense.

Just a few notes of that song though, it brings me right back to that spot in my past – working with my friend Jason at the Exxon station his family owned just around the corner from the Montgomery Mall. Summer just around the corner, the air was already getting heavy and humid, and we’d be going different ways – he was off to Boston and I was heading for Ann Arbor. I was starting Summer term, not just because I’d heard it made acceptance a little more likely, but also because I was itching so badly for it. I can smell the gasoline on my hands, which I much preferred to the distinct scent of Kimchi fermenting in Jason’s garage. I keep trying to clean the grease of my fingers, but it’s the green and white checkered rag I’m using that keeps making things dirtier.

That blank impatient space between chapters – that’s was the song Ceremony makes me think of.

My painting "Ceremony," made while listening to the song

It was originally written when the band was still Joy Division, before Ian Curtis ended his life on the night of the band’s first world tour. They too found themselves between worlds – in transition from a strange new sound in basement clubs to becoming world renowned pioneers in electronic music. En route to becoming legendary. Post Joy Division but pre New Order, which is what the survivors would become – this one song seems to bridge those two different periods, without fitting comfortably into either. An interlude, and one to which I was particularly attuned at the time.

It’s up tempo, but still down. Minor chords played fast. The murky vocals and lyrics further shaping some new hybrid emotion. Angsticipation.

To be honest, I don’t know if the music made me feel that way of if I’ve just layered my feelings at the time over the sound. Or both. I don’t think it’s knowable, and I don’t think it matters either way. The music, the time near the end of my teen years and the internal emotional whirlwind I was going through are all inexorably fused. It has become one of the main tracks on the soundtrack of my personal history. It’s also impossible to if it will mean anything at all to you, but if I had to guess I would think that there is some song that does. All the same, here it is for you:

Here are the lyrics:

This is why events unnerve me
They find it all, a different story
Notice whom for wheels are turning
Turn again and turn towards this time
All she asks is the strength to hold me
Then again the same old story
World will travel, oh so quickly
Travel fast and lean towards this time

Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time
Watching her, these things she said
The times she cried
Too frail to wake this time

Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time
Avenues all lined with trees
Picture me and then you start watching
Watching forever
Forever
Watching love grow, forever
Letting me know, forever

No comments:

Post a Comment